Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Old Yeast

I’m definitely having some rising issues. My last batch of bread took parts of 2 days to complete (some of it spent in the fridge), even with the addition of an extra tsp. of yeast. I use Fleischmann’s ADY Instant Yeast in the 1 pound vacuum pack. The yeast I’m using right now is probably over a year old, but it has been kept in the fridge the whole time.
I do think that its age is part of the problem and I have been aware of the slowness of this yeast for awhile and got around it by proofing it in warm water with a pinch of sugar added to perk it up. However, since I started doing a preferment and soaking another portion of my flower, I’m left with no water to proof my rather large yeast particles (about the size of mustard seeds). The texture of this last batch of bread was fine, no complaints as to the tooth feel/crumb, but I do wish the loaves had peaked about 50% higher than they did.
My plan is to try just doing a preferment with the whole wheat flour and when I’m closer to the point of mixing everything together, proof my yeast in the remaining 1/3 c. water with a pinch of sugar to get it going, then mix it with the dough conditioners, sweeteners and some of the flour to autolyse for about 30 minutes before adding the oil, salt and remaining flours. I’m hoping this will get the yeast good and infused into my dough and that it will rise like I expect it to. I’ll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Medea said...

WOMAN! Think! Can't believe you have kept yaest in the fridge...you kill it inside the fridge. Use old fashioned fresh yeast, 20 mls water 30mls milk for one cube of yeast.That is usually enough for 500g of flower. Mix milk/water warm up (in mw if you want) bit hotter than handwarm, mix into a "little dough" using 100 or so grams of your flower, let rise inside oven on50 dc until it is maybe twice or a bit more the size you started with, mix little dough now with rest of flour, sorry keep spelling flour wrong.Togethet with wathevet other ingridients, when achieved a smooth dough, back in the oven, same as before.Then work dough into shape (s) desired and BAKE.

Trudi said...

I'm not familiar with cubed yeast, I use active dry yeast which is in a granular format. My mother always kept her yeast in the fridge so I guess I never thought about it, but in checking RedStar Yeast's FAQs, they specify: "Once your package or jar is opened the yeast must be refrigerated or frozen in an airtight container..." and Breadworld.com concurs with their advice to "Store unopened yeast in a cool, dry place, such as a pantry (or refrigerator). ... After opening, store in an airtight container in the back of the refrigerator, away from drafts." So, I guess I wasn't too far off.

FWIW, I haven't had any recent issues with yeast, possibly because I went back to a more traditional way of making bread and/or because I have a new yeast batch.