Monday, February 26, 2018

DIY Un-paper Towels

I’m sure many of you have seen the cutesy cloth “paper” towels with the snap-together sheets and, while I am not in any way knocking them--they are super cute--I am just way too lazy practical to take the time to snap the sheets together each time.

Without another choice, we have been going through paper towels so fast it feels wasteful and I wanted something that felt a little more self-sustaining, but didn’t have the ~$30 for a single roll of cloth towels which might last us, um, I dunno, half a day?

Meanwhile in another part of the house I had a problem which screamed a solution to my paper towel dilemma. I downsized clothes and some of the boys’ and DHs shirts were too far gone to donate, but I felt bad just throwing them out. Then it hit me… cut them up in paper-towelish-sized pieces, toss them into a basket and use them like paper towels. Yes! Just what I was looking for and didn’t know it.

IMG_20180226_234645748

I quickly was able to fill our rag basket with unpaper towels and I love my new rags! They bring me so much joy. They work. They are almost endless, we almost never run out (ahem). They are wonderful for drying hands, cleaning up spills, drying dishes (if you just have a few to dry)… I totally recommend this no-skills-needed project. They have successfully replaced 95% of our paper towel use (I still use paper towels, for example, when I season my cast iron skillet, cleaning up oil oopses, or really icky pet/child messes, you know the kind.).


No comments: